He’s well on his way. in August Jeremy Biden made a commitment. A public one! He’s on a mission to lose 100lbs in one year. He is 60 days in.
Pic on the left is October 2015, the right is Spring 2014
Jeremy has changed his entire lifestyle to reach his goal. He’s exercising four times per week. Once a week he plays ball hockey. Three times a week he trains with a personal trainer, David Kittner of Prowess Strength & Conditioning.
Exercise is critical to weightloss but it’s futile without proper nutrition. Amy Hollingsworth of Prowess Strength & Conditioning is working with Jeremy and his nutritional plan. Here’s her approach:
Coach Amy’s thoughts on Nutrition:
Nutrition by definition is the process of providing or obtaining food necessary for health and growth. It really shouldn’t be that complicated. What complicates it is the mass availability and marketing employed to trick you into thinking you are eating healthy. That and of course the highly processed highly addictive convenience foods loaded with salt and sugar available in our grocery stores on every street corner it seems.
What nutrition isn’t, is a switch we can turn off and on. Our approach to nutrition needs to be a consistent everyday routine with checks and balances. Committing to an everyday approach helps us to better understand weight loss. We didn’t gain whatever number of pounds in a day and certainly it cannot be lost as such.
You need to remember the 20/80 rule.
20% of weight loss success is due to being active and burning stored fat. So even if you are maximizing your workout with resistance strength training and conditioning it still only contributes to 20% of your success. The other 80% is what you put into your body – what your eat. How you nourish your body is important not just to fuel your workouts but to also feel better and to burn stored fat at a higher rate.
There is no quick fix or perfect system. Diets that drastically restrict caloric intake fail because they are not a sustainable system. Nourishing your body is more than just physically eating food for most of us eating is linked to our emotions. We know the body requires a balanced macro nutrient approach meaning, protein, carbohydrate and good fats are required for our bodies to function and yes supplementation through vitamins can be helpful if consumed in the right quantities and in the presence of essential minerals. The other big piece is nutrient timing – when is best to eat protein etc.
So what it all boils down to is simply ensuring you have a balance and appropriate portion size of protein, carbohydrate, mineral, and good fats.
Good advice Amy. It’s taken me years to develop a balance between body weight, exercise and nutrition.
I wanted to know what Jeremy was eating. He says now that he’s working out more, he wants more to eat. So finding the balance of eating often and right is a big part of his transformation. Here’s a sample of his diet:
SO WHAT IS JEREMY EATING??
A shake in the morning (Jeremy uses Isagenix)
Mid morning snack: some almonds or light calorie wafers
Afternoon snack: Raisins, almonds, maybe apple slices
Dinner: Some kind of lean meat, usually chicken with a veggie and maybe a salad.
LOTS OF WATER: 4-5 LITRES A DAY
Some of you, even myself may think Jeremy’s diet is restricting. This isn’t Jeremy’s forever meal plan, it’s for right now to get him adjusted to the caloric difference and cleansing his body of the addiction to sugar and salt. When I decided to lose weight, I went hard core at the beginning. Once I reached my management weight, I tapered off on the super clean diet. I still eat pretty clean, but when and if I want poutine or some chips, I eat them. I just know I can’t do it every day. Honestly, once you get away from junk food, it isn’t nearly as desirable. I remember training once and I ate fish and greens constantly. When I reached my goal, I couldn’t wait to get a crispy crunch blizzard. To my surprise I didn’t even finish it. It was acidic and too sweet. Apples with almond butter and honey is a much better treat honestly.
My motto is: You trained your body to like junk food, you need to train it to unlike it.
While you think about how your new diet should look, here is a little exercise Jeremy and I do with David. You can do at home and you don’t need any fancy equipment! I call it “get a lulu bum without the lulu’s”.
To date Jeremy has lost 45.5 INCHES!! and 40lbs!!!!!
Next week Jeremy is going to talk about the scale. It can be very frustrating for a person with such a big goal.
Jeremy’s journey is so inspiring and fun! Follow him on twitter @getfitwithjer
Join us every Friday for a Get Fit with Jer update!